Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Autobiographical Sketch

I was walking down the hall in Alaska Native Medical Center on the fifth floor then I saw Xenia and Edward Shavings Jr. I asked them if they wanted to see my mom and they said that they wanted to. So I brought them to my mom’s room. Having no idea that Xenia was sick I let them in my mom’s room. While the couple was in there, there was hardly any talking. Then my mom asked, “ Xenia, what are you here for?”
Xenia replied, “ I’m here for an appointment.”
My mother asked, “ Are you sick?” My mother sounded scared.
“Yeah,” answered Xenia.
Then my mom told Xenia that she couldn’t be in her room if she was sick. Xenia told her husband, “ Baby, she said that we can’t be in here.”
Edward replied, “ Ok, we’ll get going. See you later.”
The next day I went to the hospital with Auntie Color. When I opened me mom’s room door I put my hands to my mouth and started crying. I saw my mom wearing an oxygen mask. From there I knew that my mom was going to get really sick and die. That night she got really sick. My family and I stayed with her for three days. The second day I fell asleep in the hallway around midnight. When I woke up I had a blanket on and it was around 9 o’clock in the morning. I was too sad to eat so I didn’t eat.
Around 8 o’clock in the evening my dad took Gram, the three younger kids and me home. We were in the house for some minutes and there was a phone call. Gram said that we were to go to the hospital again. My dad’s friend, David Chanar, picked us up. Aaron and I were crying beside Mom’s bed while Caroline and Jeremy were laughing and playing around. They were the only ones that didn’t know what was happening. Then finally my mom died. Jeremy and Caroline were now crying. She died on June 30, 1999 around 10 in the evening. One month before her thirtieth birthday. I was nine, Aaron; 8, Jeremy; 6, and Caroline; 4. One month and twenty-nine days after Caroline’s fourth birthday.
As soon as my mom died everything wasn’t the same any more. My siblings and I hardly played. Every little thing that reminded us about our mother we cried. The song Amazing Grace used to make Aaron and me cry when ever we heard it. There was this one homemade movie she made that we all watched together. In that movie she was reading us a book. We all cried while we watched the movie.
After my mom died I was expected to do a lot things for a nine year old. I was expected to help with every chore in the house, cook, take care of my siblings, wash the laundry, and watch over them. This was too much for me when I was nine. I hardly played because of all the things I had to do. I was too tired to play. Finally most of the things that I was expected to do I didn’t have to do any more.
I remember if one of my siblings got hurt I was there to take care of it. If someone was mean to them I was there to defend my brothers or sister. I still do that. Even though they don’t defend me I still defend them. Sometimes when one of my siblings cries for our mother I would cry with them, but it’s mostly with my sister. My brothers try not to think about our mom. They don’t want to do anything to do with our mom. I don’t know why.
If my mom hadn’t died my family and I would have been living in Anchorage and this paper wouldn’t have been written. My life would have been different, a lot different. I would have a mother, my friends from Anchorage, my dad would still be working in Key Bank, and maybe I would have a lot of problems.
The second event that shaped my life was some weeks after my mother died. One of my teeth had come out but no one knew. I washed my tooth and went in my room to put it under my pillow. After school I went right to my room. When I looked under my pillow my tooth was still there. So I went out to play. That day I kept checking on my tooth.
My tooth was still there the next morning. I went to school sad. The tooth fairy hadn’t come for my tooth. After school I checked again. When I checked under my pillow my tooth was gone! There was a dollar under my pillow. The dollar looked new. There were no wrinkles on the dollar, but there was writing on it. It looked as if the writing was printed on the dollar. It wasn’t in pen or pencil. That writing on my dollar said ~Jesus Loves You~.
I went to ask my dad if he wrote it but he said he didn’t. He said that it looked like my mom’s handwriting! I was surprised. I kept that dollar with me all the time. I showed it to my teachers and friends. Then I had lost that dollar. I was mad and sad. I looked for it all over but couldn’t find it. From that I learned that whatever you treasure should be kept safe at home not with you.

No comments: